Setting objectives for a writer’s website
When considering commissioning a website, your first job is to decide on your objectives as these will inform all areas of your website’s development including number of pages, functionality and look and feel.
Here are some questions to ask yourself:
– Is your website a showcase for your book aimed at potential publishers?
– Is the purpose of your website to sell book online?
– Do you need to link to the booksellers who will sell your book?
– Do you plan to sell a digital version of your book as a downloadable PDF file?
– Do you plan to give away a sample chapter?
Ideally, you should list your objectives and try to summarise your website’s mission statement in simple sentence.
You will need to think about the nature of your target audience – are they publishers, booksellers or potential readers? Or all of these?